Thursday, July 25, 2013

Does it? Does it compel me? 4 ways to make your direct mail more compelling

That's a reference to the exorcism scene from the movie, "This is the End," which I probably shouldn't admit to watching. When I decided to write about how to develop a compelling direct mail postcard, those words immediately popped into my mind.

Just like Jay couldn't compel the devil to leave his inhabitant's body, postcards don't automatically compel people to read them. However, I can offer a few tips that are proven to make for more compelling direct mail.

1. Avoid the use of these awful canned postcard templates
When I see the generic postcard templates where businesses just insert their own photo and contact information on a shell, it's a huge turn-off. It tells me that they are lazy and have nothing unique to offer in terms of their brand. If you don't have more than 5 minutes to craft your message to me, I'm not compelled to read further. I often think this kind of card does more damage than good. I recently received one such template card from a realtor promoting their vast experience serving the Lake Norman area -- only problem was that the graphic image on the front was a lake with mountains in the background. That's not Lake Norman, so you've just completely lost your credibility with me. High resolution stock images are great to use when you don't have an arsenal of quality photography of your products or services, but make sure you are using them in the right way and that they are credible.

2. Understand what you are actually selling
I wrote an earlier blog on the wonderful quote from businessman Peter Nivio Zarlenga, "In our factory, we make lipstick. In our advertising, we sell hope." Many businesses make this mistake. Instead of focusing on the emotional benefits to the consumer, they focus on the product offerings or services. For example, a landscaper might include a bulleted list of all his services: lawn maintenance, pruning, weed control, fertilizing, landscape design, etc. If we think of this in terms of the lipstick vs. hope approach, the landscaper is really selling the promise of time. By hiring a landscaper, the consumer will have more time to relax and actually enjoy his home's outdoor space -- this is what a landscaper truly sells, not the mowing or fertilizing services. You can still list all the services you provide, just make sure you've included the ultimate benefit to the consumer. It can be as simple as using a picture of a man laying on his hammock actually having time to enjoy the beauty of his back yard.

 3. Motivate readers to turn the card over
The goal with any direct mail postcard is to inspire (compel) people to turn it over to read the backside further. How do you do this? Give them a reason upfront for turning over the card. Use a banner or callout that says things like:
  • Read the back for 4 things you need to do now for a green lawn in the spring!
  • Turn card over for money saving coupon!
  • Save this card with your neighbor's names so you can help welcome them into your neighborhood!
  • Read the reverse to find out how to efficiently program your thermostat to save money in the summer!
You get the point. Don't assume that people pick up your postcards and read every word. You have 3 seconds to make an impression and provide them with a compelling call to action, which will motivate them to read the back side. Promises of discounts, money saving tips, urgent calls of action and educational advice are all great motivators.

4. Write a compelling headline
If you've read this far, then such techniques like asking a question or using a number with tips or benefits for something both compelled you to read more! I recently used a headline on one of my own direct mail pieces that said, "Wait, don't call us just yet..." The intent was to say something contradictory to what the reader is likely thinking. My goal was for them to wonder why I don't want them calling my business just yet. The goal of the postcard was to position my company, Message in a Mailbox, as a resource. I want businesses to engage with me on Facebook and learn more about direct mail. My ultimate goal is to help businesses -- I'm not concerned that they call me and I win a sale today. I know that when you actually help people, you'll eventually earn their business for the long term.

If you've read this far, I really hope you'll be compelled to "like us" on Facebook and engage with us there!




No comments:

Post a Comment